Wednesday, November 2, 2011

family issues

The book King of the Screwups by K.L. Going, is about a boy named Liam Geller. Liam always has the special power of screwing things up, and making his dad upset. I noticed that the protagonist is on a quest for a better life. He wants a better new improved life because his dad kicked him out to go live with his uncle. If Liam doesn't prove he can be responsible enough, his dad won't let him back in the house and he would be nothing.

Liam's mom really impacted him the most positively, at least at the beginning of the book. She really helped Liam when he was going through rough times with his father. When Liam's dad kicked him out, his mom arranged for him to go with his uncle, not his grandparents. He was originally supposed to go to his grandparents, but they detest him. It is small acts of kindness like this one that make people really great. Liam's dad however effected him negatively. A boy can't learn or fix his mistakes if he is being yelled at. I think his father should have been more lenient. If it was me, kicking me out of the house would only make me do worse. Although Liam has been doing really bad, I don't agree with his fathers parenting skills. He is only making Liam stressed out.

 Now that Liam is at his oncles house he make a new life, be a different person. The one his father wants him to be. But his Uncle Pete sees him for who he really is, a slacker who doesn't know what to do with his life. He has to make a hard deccision of which version of himself he can live with. I think Liam is going to try to change for his father so much, but then at the end he realizes he doesn't have to change for his family. He had to be himself, but just try hard and do the right thing.

So far I really like this book because i can relate to it with me and my dads relationship. I can't wait to finish it and I'm looking forward to see whats going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment